The neck includes the bones and joints of the cervical spine, the shock absorbing discs between the bones and the muscles and ligaments that hold the neck together. Neck pain may be felt at the base of the skull, down along the neck, across the shoulders and even refer down the arm. Neck pain can also lead to headaches, stiffness (decreased range of motion).
Causes of Headaches and Neck Pain:
- Poor Posture/Workstation set-up
- Normal wear and tear
- Stress and tension
- Torticollis – a severe contraction of the neck muscles, leading to the head being tilted to one side.
- Sleeping with pillows that are too high or too low.
- Manual therapy to increase joint mobility and muscle extensibility
- Range of motion, stretching and strengthening exercises
- Electrotherapy to decrease pain/inflammation and promote healing
- Education regarding posture, workstation set-up, use of pillows
- Exercise Therapy to strengthen the deep stabilizers of the neck, thoracic spine and shoulder blades. This serves to maintain the neck, upper back and shoulders in the correct position thereby reducing the postural stress on the head and neck.